Visit Sassy Kids Website

Friday, December 18, 2009

Scrap Quilt


Welcome to my very first blog. I will hopefully get better at this as I do it more!
I made my Granddaughter, Sydney a quilt for her bed from scraps. No, I am not a quilter and after making this quilt,,don't want to be a quilter. I take my hat off to those of you that quilt. Here's how I made it:
I took dryer sheets, yes used ones work just fine! I just started sewing the fabrics to the dryer sheets. After I had lots and lots for these done I started sewing them together. I did try to keep everything pretty square as I went. That meant pulling out my framing square.
After a while I got pretty tired of sewing those things together so I cut long strips of fabric and started sewing those to the sides, top and bottom of the quilt to make it as large as I wanted it to be. Hers is large enough to fit a full size bed.
To back the quilt I used an old blanket. I didn't have a table large enough so I used something all of us have around the house, the floor! I put the blanket on the floor, with the quilt on top and cut the blanket to fit.
To do the binding again I cut long strips of fabric, sewing them together to make one really long piece. Make your binding any width you would like. I cute my strips 3", I would cut them 4" if I ever decide to do this again. Then just bind. I'm not good at binding so I'm sure you can search google for binding instructions.
OH, I almost forgot. I cut her name out and appliqued it on the quilt.
Hope this inspires you to pull out your scraps and make something creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment